HEALTHY ice cream? Say what!??
Alright, so maybe it’s not technically ice cream but this frozen, creamy concoction will have you second guessing. I’m obsessed (like seriously obsessed) with ice cream which is a major challenge for me trying to diet. I would try getting those smaller tubs every once in awhile just to satisfy my cravings but then I’d end up putting way too much caramel sauce on and before I knew it, I was finishing off the container and looking for more. It’s a serious problem for me. When I heard about this frozen banana “ice cream” I was skeptical but decided to give it a try anyway. Surprisingly, it’s very close to actual ice cream. While you can flavor it up to your liking, you’ll still get that banana taste so if you’re not a banana fan, this isn’t for you. BUT scroll down to the end of this blog. I have a special tip for all you banana haters 🙂
What you’ll need:
- Frozen bananas
- Additional ingredients for flavor (optional)
The how to:
- Freeze bananas – I peel and slice them up putting them in an air tight freezer bag before going in the freezer.
- Blend – I usually set my frozen bananas out for a a few minutes before blending. I don’t have a super nice blender so this just makes it easier for me. Blend until the bananas start getting creamy.
- Add milk – I don’t have an exact measurement of milk I use but suggest blending a little in at a time until you reach your desired consistency. You can go a little thicker by using less milk or do more of a milkshake by adding more.
- Flavor it up – I’ve found that no matter what you’ll still taste those bananas a little bit. Get creative and try new flavors every time. Here are a few ideas:
- Peanut butter
- Peanut butter + chocolate chips or cocoa powder
- Protein powder
- Strawberries or any other fruit
- Extracts (vanilla, mint, etc)
- Mint chocolate chip: mint extract + chocolate chips
- Spinach (you can’t taste it but you can throw it in for it’s health benefits)
Once you start experimenting, you’ll invent your own flavors. And of course, I want to know what your favorite one is. Comment below!
For those who want to puke just thinking about bananas, here’s a frozen yogurt that will blow your mind.
That’s Dannon Greek Frozen Yogurt. They have several flavors my favorites being Cafe Latte and Chocolate. It’s sure creamy and is packed with protein with little calories.