Coffee is a huge part of our mornings and often the biggest dilemma when it comes to dieting. We go for that second up every morning without even thinking and the thought of cutting it out completely terrifies us. But who says it has to be eliminated?? There are actually many health benefits to drinking coffee. Now what you put in your coffee is another story altogether. I’ve never been a fancy coffee girl myself. No sugar or Starbucks fraps for me! I’m perfectly happy with my half & half 🙂 But for those who need a little flavor and sweetness, I have some tricks for you! First of all, here’s why you SHOULD keep coffee in your diet.
The BENEFITS of drinking coffee
- Boosts your energy (isn’t that the point??)
- Can help you burn fat: Studies show that caffeine can boost metabolic rate by 3-11%
- Can improve your performance: Coffee increases adrenaline levels and releases fatty acids from the fat tissues.
- Has essential nutrients you need
- Studies show that people who drink the most coffee have a 23-50% lower risk of Type II Diabetes
- Can lower your risk of getting Alzheimer’s & Parkinson’s.
- It makes you happy 🙂
Recommended coffee intake per day: No more than 4 cups
What you can ADD to your coffee
1. Start with your base. This could be half & half, heavy cream, almond milk, or regular milk.
2. Throw in a pack of Stevia if you need a little sweetness.
3. Add flavor through spices or extracts. You can can creative and mix more than one 🙂
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Hazelnut extract
- Mint Extract
- Orange extract
- Maple extract
- Cocoa powder
- apple pie spice
- pumpkin pie spice
Flavor combo ideas:
Hazelnut extract + Cocoa powder = Nutella
Vanilla + Cinnamon
Vanilla extract + Orange extract = Creamsicle
Cocoa powder + Mint extract
Cocoa powder + Orange extract
Vanilla extract + Maple extract
I feel like you could get really clever with this and have your own little Starbucks right at home. Can you imagine how much money you’d save? If you wanna get really fancy or just want to impress your guests, throw some whipped cream on top! It’s simple: Beat heavy whipping cream and add a packet of Stevia. Even though I am a plain coffee drinker, I may just have to try some of these out. Let me know which one you like best in the comments below!