How many times have you sat down at your home or work desk with every intention of knocking out an important project and get sidetracked by everything else on the web? You suddenly remember a million other things you need to check while your on your computer like your emails, Facebook, bank account, etc. Before you know it an hour flies by and you haven’t even started the project you sat down to complete. If this sounds too much like the way you work, here’s how to be more productive and actually get things done.
First off, I want to say that I did not come up with this system on my own. I actually learned it from Chalene Johnson, a huge motivator in my life. Here’s the GOLDEN RULE for increased productivity that has changed the way I work.
Get totally FOCUSED for 45 minutes and then take a 15 minute break.
45 minutes is the prime amount of focus time. Anything longer and your mind will begin to wonder. Here are some of my favorite tips to staying focused in your 45 minute blocks of time.
1. Have everything you need in front of you. Grab tour notebook, planner, computer, headphones, and anything else you need to get the job done so you’re not wasting valuable focus time looking for it.
2. Seclude yourself. Choose a specific place to get work done where it’s quiet with NO distractions.
3. Figure out your ideal focus time. When are you most alert and creative? Use this time of day to your advantage!
4. Turn your phone on silent. This is one MAJOR source of distraction. Put your phone on silent and in the other room. You don’t even want to see those notifications pop up on your phone.
5. Work with one tab open at a time. DO NOT allow yourself to open more than one tab in your browser at a time. This leads to doing several tasks at once. Keep it to one thing at a time and get super focused on it.
6. Set a timer. When you’re under pressure and have a limited time to get something done, you’re more likely to work harder at completing it. Setting a timer can help with the urgency of the task at hand.
7. Do something different on your off times. Get up from your desk, take a walk, make a personal call, do some stretching and just get away from the work on your 15 minute breaks.
Remember, multitasking is more harmful when it comes to productivity than single tasking. Try out the 45 minutes of focused time and see for yourself how much you can actually get done. No worries if you can’t get the whole task done in 45 minutes. You can always take your break and get back to it later. After coming back from your 15 minute break you should feel refreshed and ready to go at it again.
How has this trick helped you become more productive and actually get things done?? Leave a comment below and let me know how it’s working out for you 😀