Every October my family comes to Florida to visit us. They find a fantastic house on the beach, vacation, and just enjoy time together. It’s always a special time of year for us and we always enjoy the time we have with them. I’ve noticed something this year though. I don’t know if it was being on vacation or just the special group of people my family is but they’ve taught be a lot about life and the way we all should be living. Here are 7 things I learned from my family on vacation.
1. It doesn’t matter what you do but rather who you do it with. I can’t honestly tell you one thing we went out and did as a family other than dinner. Memories are made by sitting around a coconut with a face, not any extreme activity. I feel like we put too much pressure on what we go out and do and forget about the little things, like just talking to one another.
2. Naps are essential. My family’s vacation was filled with “happy naps”. You always feel your best when you get the rest your body needs and it’s totally ok to nap it out in the middle of the day (if you’re on vacation).
3. The weather will never be perfect but we appreciate the weather we have. While my family was in town we had a tropical storm. We didn’t let that stop our fun though. There will be storms in life but it’s important to look on the bright side and appreciate the good things you do have. We were very lucky that the weather we got was mild!
4. Live a carefree life. Something magical happens when you’re on vacation. Your worries melt away and you’re just in a completely happy state. Shouldn’t we live every day like that?
5. Life is too short to not enjoy good food. Don’t get me wrong, I love living a healthy lifestyle but every once in awhile you have to get a little crazy with a bowl of pasta. It’s not the end of the world. Enjoy it!
6. Do what you want and forget about the judgement of others. If you want to spend the whole day in your PJs just do it. If you want to nap all day on the couch, do it. Do whatever makes you happy and forget about what anyone else has to say about it.
7. Share the love. I have to say, my family is a super caring bunch of people. They are always giving. Their happiness and joy is contagious and they’re always fun to be around. Share the joy and makes others happy.
What it really comes down to is just being happy. Love life and enjoy what you do. Spend quality time with the people you love and appreciate all that you have in life. It’s actually quite simple but the stresses of everyday life can easily distract us. If there’s one thing we can all change in our lives right now it’s to take a little bit of time each day doing something that makes us smile. Start TODAY and look forward to doing that thing. Life is too short not to love what you do.